It seems an overwhelming idea to create web apps using modern frameworks due to their popular functionality and amazing features. You might have knowledge about developing a web application but it can never be enough to develop it on your own. There are certain tasks that require assistance and expertise.
To help you in developing your web applications, there are various tools and libraries that make the process of web design and development easier for the developers. The group of these tools and libraries is known as web application frameworks. It saves time and effort for the developers by doing common tasks in the web application programming process like handling sessions, validation, etc.
Here is a complete package of web app frameworks to help you pick the right one for your application. Let’s explore.
What is a Web Application Framework?
A collection of resources and tools for web and software developers to help them in building a web application is termed a web app framework. These frameworks increase the ability of developers, simplify the development process as well as make Web Application Frameworks them flexible & fast.
It seems impossible to create a website without web frameworks, as it will highly increase the workload for the developers. They will have to do everything from scratch like creating databases, business logic, security options, etc.
Types of Web Frameworks:
Web app frameworks are designed to make the web application development process simple and decrease time to market. Many frameworks are now available for the developers making them confused about which is the right choice. You must think twice before selecting any of them as your website’s functionality and success depends on it.
Before moving towards the list of frameworks let’s have a look at the types of framework and their differences. There are types of frameworks: front-end and back-end web development frameworks.
|Front-end frameworks||Back-end frameworks|
|The modules or components that are visible to the clients directly are front-end frameworks.||The modules of server-side programming languages are known as backend frameworks.|
|It includes UI\UX designing.||It includes database management.|
|SEO optimization, creating reusable templates, performance, and scalability enhancement are all involved.||Security, server handling, URL routing, and designing site architecture are all involved.|
|Pre-written code extracts, integral elements, and user interaction management are all benefits provided by front-end frameworks.||Back-end provides database manipulation, user authorization, privacy encryption, and reusable components.|
Classification of the Web Framework Architecture
Depending on the sort of architecture or how their components are arranged and interact with one another, many categories of web development frameworks exist. Even programmers who are not familiar with a framework can quickly comprehend how it works once they are aware of the architectural model.
Following are the three common models most web developers use:
Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture
This is popular and the most preferred model on which most web applications depend. It is divided into 3 separate components i.e. Model, view, & controller.
The Model is entirely informed about an app’s structure and content. The Controller sends the View information about how an updated interface should appear after obtaining user input information from the View.
The view is on the front end of the app, it receives data from the user and either sends it to the controller for analysis or updates\ reassembles it if the model orders it to do so. The view is aware of the whole layout of the app and how users can interact.
The controller works as a mediator between the model and the view. It receives input from the view, analyzes it, and forwards it to the model.
The MVC design architecture enables easy updates and scalability by separating the front and back-end codes into separate parts which makes it work without any issues like interventions and offers smooth working on different parts of the application altogether to the developers.
Model View-VIew-Model (MVVM) Architecture
A two-way data connection between the view and view-model in the model view-view-model (MVVM) design pattern allows for a more clear separation of the user interface from the application functionality.
The model for MVVM is the same as MVC. It is the backend for business logic and input data of the user.
It is the front end from where the input begins. It presents the action of a request of the users.
It has no connection to the view, and its primary function is to edit the model as the actions of the view alter and maintain the state of the view.
Mobile applications that require higher optimization, better performance, and personalization often use the MVVM model of architecture.
The three-tier architecture consists of 3 components i.e. User interface\client’s PC, an app server, and a database server. Application and database server has divided the work of the server among them. Application has taken the function of required communication while business logic’s required data is with the database server. All these required data are given back to public servers and then presented on the Client’s PC.
Top 10 Web Application Frameworks
As we have discussed the types of web application frameworks, here are the web applications frameworks for front-end and back-end web development respectively.
Top 5 web App Frameworks for Front-end
Due to its simplicity and adaptability, React has quickly become the most widely used front-end framework by the top web application development service providers in the last few years. It is maintained by Facebook and its larger community. Facebook, Skype, Shopify, Discord, Instagram, Uber, Netflix, Tesla, Walmart, and Airbnb are a few well-known React projects.
- Easy to use and learn
- Easy to create a dynamic web application with React JS.
- It is made up of multiple components that are reusable which makes it easier to build and maintain an app.
- React JS has introduced DOM which enhances the performance of the app.
- The handy set of tools provided by ReactJS makes it stand apart from others.
- It is popularly SEO friendly as well as very easy to test.
- Some engineers don’t feel comfortable regularly learning new ways of doing things because the environment changes so quickly and frequently.
- Due to constant upgradation, it has poor documentation.
React Native Or Swift – Which one is better for developing an iOS app
- AngularJS allows its users to make components of their own.
- In angular, data can be easily moved to the view and can react to the user’s action without writing a code manually.
- Developers can write modular services and inject them anywhere needed, improving their testing ability and reusability.
- There is an in-built testing ability in angular so developers can test all the components of apps easily.
- It is cross-platform and is capable of running on multiple platforms and browsers.
- It is hard to learn angular, especially for beginners as it is a complex framework.
- It has limited SEO functions and poor accessibility.
- It is difficult to upgrade the new feature in angular.
- It is quite easy and needs very little coding.
- Highly flexible plugins are also available.
- It is free to use and easily accessible to all platforms.
- It features an in-build UI kit and effects libraries.
- It has a common standard and every application can not be built in a common way.
- The major drawback is it has multiple versions and all versions do not go well with each other.
- It is slow especially while doing animations.
Vue JS is also a very popular and demanding framework used for custom web application development which requires flexibility, high performance, and lightweight components. It allows users to create interactive and attractive UI for all types of applications, simple or complex. It is currently most preferred by developers for its best official libraries. It also supports creating a single-page application.
- Requires little coding to create web apps, only a bit of knowledge of HTML, CSS, etc programming languages is needed.
- It can easily be integrated into any application with any other framework like ReactJS or Angular. This is the most essential feature which attracts developers.
- Vue JS seems to be quite user-friendly as it is very easy to learn and use Vue for creating a feature-rich user interface.
- There is a language barrier, as all the plugins, service forms, and descriptions are in the Chinese language due to their development in China.
- It is only suitable for small firms as it has no funding, and is not well supported.
- It is also not reliable to solve bugs and provide fast solutions.
Angular vs Vue: Guide for Choosing a Perfect Framework?
- It is well organized and provides high performance.
- It allows two-way data binding.
- The unique feature of Ember JS is it acquires its own debugging tool – Ember Inspector.
- It has quite understandable documentation and is stable without stagnation.
- Provides faster development due to Ember CLI.
- It sometimes provides content that is outdated and doesn’t work.
- Its components are not reusable.
- It is a too heavy and rigid framework.
Top 5 Web App Frameworks for Back-end
Django is an open-source back-end framework based on Python. This framework is free and uses the MTV model of architecture. An American organization named Django Software Foundation maintains it. The main aim of Django is to develop complex websites that are driven via Database. It has reusable components and eliminates repetition of code resulting in fast development.
- Django is Python-based and this makes it easy to learn for the developers with knowledge of Python.
- Django is used by IT giants like Google, and NASA for its easy wide range of functionality.
- It has a broad community that provides a wide range of resources and updates.
- It is scalable as well as customizable. Also, it has a database that can be easily migrated.
- There is no concern about security in Django as it is safe and maintains privacy.
- Django is not made for small websites as it has a lot of coding.
- It lacks principles and conventions which makes it difficult for developers to work with it.
- There are batteries included in it which makes it monolithic which makes it lacking in dependency and difficult to utilize.
Laravel is a framework for building web applications that have expressive and elegant syntax. By removing all the difficulties associated with working with sophisticated PHP code, Laravel helps developers create websites more quickly, easily, and pleasurable.
- Faster Time-To-Market Resulted From Laravel Development.
- Better Options for Authentication and Authorization.
- Laravel, the market leader in security, can secure your online application by shielding it from the most serious security vulnerabilities.
- Laravel is based on the MVC model of architecture. When creating a web application, developers can make the most of the built-in functionality provided by the MVC architecture.
- It has a strong template engine & built-in libraries.
- It aids easy startup with great documentation, an interactive interface, and community support.
- It is a robust framework with scalability and automated and unit testing ability.
- Its speed is quite slow as compared to other frameworks.
- Provides less in-built support to developers.
Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails also called only Ruby is a back-end or server-side framework that works on MVC architecture. It provides default databases as well as web pages as a web service. Its cutting-edge features like easy data migration, creation of a seamless database, and rapid development highly influence custom web application development.
- It provides outstanding performance and acquires large community support & solutions.
- It can be used on the front end and back end due to its high flexibility.
- It’s easy to manage the change & it is cost-effective as well.
- Offers high security with the help of in-built security measures.
- It enables developers to develop new features rapidly and supplies extensive productivity.
- Low scalability due to low runtime speed.
- It consists of strong dependencies and modules included that make it inflexible.
- It costs high for mistakes and new developers who are unaware of rails may make wrong decisions due to its fast prototype resulting in high costs.
Next.Js was developed in 2016 and its latest version 12.2 was released in 2022, June. Next.js is a React framework that provides pieces for making web applications. In addition to offering additional structure, functionalities, and optimizations for your application, Next.js takes care of the tooling and settings required for React.
- It provides fast development and less time to market.
- Exceptional performance and excessive support to developers.
- SEO-friendly and amazing user experience.
- Helps in less load time and automatic code splitting.
- Some programmers think it’s over subjective.
- Many developers criticize Next.js’ routing, while others support it.
An open-source PHP framework called CakePHP is used to create web applications more quickly. It facilitates task simplification and reduces the time required to create the application from scratch. CakePHP is well-liked by web developers since it works well to create contemporary apps. CakePHP adopts a few techniques from Ruby on Rails.
- It is a free and open-source web development framework.
- It is an MVC model supporter.
- It provides simple basic operations and simple database interaction.
- It adheres to a built-in model of validation.
- With CakePHP, handling email, cookies, and sessions is simple.
- There is an internal templating engine.
- Less comprehensive documentation when compared to other frameworks.
- Its one-way routing is also a disadvantage.
- It doesn’t support upgrading from the old version to the latest one. Developers will have to create an app on the latest version.
Frameworks provide the basic architecture needed to construct web applications. Developers can take advantage of a variety of useful features to speed up the development process based on the web application frameworks they choose. The above details are informative but you can not independently develop your application. You will need expert web developers as well as well-versed web application development services for building a multi-functioning and feature-rich web application to compete in the market.
Which frameworks are easiest to learn?
All frameworks are easy if you are a well-trained developer but some frameworks are considered to be very easy to learn and utilize based on the experience of web developers which include React, Angular, Vue, Ruby on Rails, and Django.
Which framework is most suitable for your modern web application?
We have mentioned top front-end and back-end web frameworks in our blog Top 10 Web Application Frameworks for Web Development to help you select one out of the best. The most popular web frameworks are React, Angular, Ember, etc for front-end and Django, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, etc for back-end framework. You can choose any one based on your specific project requirement.
What is a web application framework? What is it used for?
A web application framework is a collection of tools and resources to help developers in building a website or a web application. It is used to support the development process as it provides a guideline and way towards deploying websites or web apps.